Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bus update!




So, old rotten wood floor is out, and now a new floor is going in. The money from selling the seats went to buying some marine plywood, as recommended by Robbie Baker (who happens to be a professional boat-builder, and thus, is experienced in dealing with wet wood, and wood getting wet but staying dry).

Why marine? Different type of wood, and different type of glue, which makes it repel water without all of the lousy chemicals.


At first, when we went to buy the wood, they only had one type of marine which was not the desired width. They tried to sell me on some normal ply. I said no thanks... I don't want to sit on top of those things when they're off-gassing!

"Oh, they use something different now!" he assured me.
I wasn't convinced. "Do you have the info on that?" I asked.
"Yeah, sure I've got the flyer here somewhere..." he said. He couldn't find it, which was fine, because I didn't want to read what the producers had to say. "That's alright, can you pull up the MSDS or something?"
It ended up being this huge production, but eventually I ended up behind the desk reading the MSDS on the computer. "repeated exposure has been shown to cause respiratory cancer in rats..." "eye and throat irritant.." no thanks.

In the end, thinner marine turned out perfect. The wood was actually supposed to be a special order for someone else, so they gave me a "special deal" and so on.


If you remember, before, there was a layer of stainless steel between the wood and the wheel wells to keep water and dirt out...










We decided to take a different route to prevent that sort of rotting to happen again.

So, the undercarriage was pressure washed by Jesse and Robbie, the wood was sized, cut, (including escape hatch cutouts) painted (almost done!), and will be ready to install as soon as the weekend is over!




Afterall, my car still doesn't run, and I have to show it at Primer... last second stuff as always!







and as lovely as the seafoam and brown color combination is... the paint will soon be buffed entirely off to show the shiny stainless underneath, and the black window moldings and fiberglass... and then what we will do from there... is a secret for now!




More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Looking great!!! The progress has been awesome so far -- can't wait to come have a sleep over!!! :D

    ReplyDelete